yields about 3 dozen 1 and 1/2 inch diameter spheres
2 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. plus 2 T. sugar
1/4 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
3/4 c. whole milk
2 large eggs
2 T. melted butter (room temperature)
2 t. vanilla extract
2 sweet apples cut unto 1/4 inch pieces
3 cups safflower oil for frying
powdered sugar for dusting
1. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
2. In another bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, butter, and vanilla.
3. Gently fold milk mixture into flour mixture until just combined. Fold in the apples.
4. Meanwhile, heat 2 inches of oil in a medium heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat until ~350 degrees. Set a wire rack on a baking sheet.
5. Working in batches, drop heaping tablespoons of dough into oil. Cook, turning once, until puffed and golden, about 3 – 4 minutes. Transfer to rack with a slotted spoon.
6. Let cool slightly, then dust with powdered sugar.
Thanks to Jess for the recipe!!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.